Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Types of Runs (Part 1)

I remember when I was starting out I would read these terms like "fartlek" and "tempo run." Honestly, it was kind of annoying not knowing what they were referring to. I eventually found this article giving a quick blurb of what they were. However, it wasn't comprehensive enough and I felt like for newbies we could use a little more explanation and logic behind the runs. I for one just....."ran." I ran a moderate pace that made me feel somewhat tired and stopped, or I ran hard, trying to complete, say, 2 miles as fast as I could. And if I were just trying to keep fit and burn calories, this would have been perfectly fine. But I'm also interested in competition and decreasing my times and for that I've found structured runs in which each run had a specific purpose to be indispensable. So here's my list of the types of runs with my comments on them.

Interval Run
This is to increase your VO2max and your "speed." I think of it as a top speed increaser for long distance running (yes, this is a way over simplification). Usually what it consists of is running a set distance at a very fast pace and taking a "rest interval" of a set amount of time and then "repeating" the distance again at the same set pace. For example, say you ran your last 5K race in 23:00 minutes flat. Then "6x800 repeats" for you may mean you run 800 meters in 3:11 (the time should be at least your 5K pace, preferably faster). Then you rest or jog for the amount of time it would normally take you to run one lap, say about 90 seconds. Then you "repeat" another 800 meters in 3:11 and rest again for a total of 6 times. The key is to try to keep your 800 meter run at the same 3:11 (or whatever time) pace. You'll feel it in the later laps and that's where you're getting faster. This workout is usually only done once a week and you should feel pooped at the end.

Intervals are almost always done on a track. One lap = 400m = about a quarter mile. Bring  a watch.

Tempo Run
This is to increase your lactate threshold and improve your ability to maintain your race pace. This is done by running at near 5K  pace for a moderate distance, say 3-5 miles. Say you're that same 23:00 5K racer from above and now you want to run a half-marathon. Your 5K pace would be a 7:24/mile. For a tempo run you'd run 3-5 miles at around a 7:45 - 8:15ish/mile pace. This type of workout will help your muscles to hold a 7:24/mile pace easily on race day. A Gps Watch that can give you your current pace is pretty useful for this kind of run. This workout is usually done once or twice a week.

Long Run
This is to build plain endurance for your slow-twitch/intermediate fast-twitch muscles and raising aerobic metabolism. For distance running ("distance running" usually refers to races over say, 800 meters. Middle distance being from around 800m to 3K and long distance from 5K and up), this is usually the core workout for all long distance races (though I personally see the interval and tempo run workouts as the core of the 5K race, but I'm a newb and have never won a race so whatdoIknow). It is usually done by running at about 20-40 seconds slower than your race pace for a long distance. If your expected goal is a half-marathon at 8:00/mile, then your long run is run at about 8:20-40ish/mile pace. Normally you build up the miles until your long run is above your race distance. So maybe you'll peak at around 14-15 miles if you're training for a half-marathon. This workout is usually done once or twice a week. At the end of the workout your muscles should not be in pain like in a tempo run. Out of breath, sure.


Easy Run/Recovery Run
This one really weirded me out as a beginner. The idea is that after a hard workout, say a crazy interval session, the next day you run again, only super slow in order to bring blood back to your running muscles to quicken recovery. How slow? At least 2 minutes slower than your 5K pace. Say your 5K race pace is 7:30/mile. Then your easy pace is at least 9:30. If you run faster than this you are just doing a medium run, which I've found to not be productive when training for races. Me, personally, I can't run that slow. It screws with my mind and my form. I never do easy runs but it is considered a staple. I prefer to simply not work out my legs the day after a hard workout.

It's like a running version of this.

Fartlek
This is some Swedish word for "speed play." Its just a glorified way of what I see as "messing around." You ditch the GPS watch or any watch all together. You run at some moderate or slow pace, pass a stop sign, race fast to that bus stop down the block, slow down to a moderate pace as you pass by the blonde Swedish girl, race up the hill to that corner store, etc....Your fast sections might be based on distance, say around 200 meters. They might be based on time, say 30 seconds, its up to you. How hard should you run? "Kind of hard, but not too hard." No pace target and you make the distances up as you go along. It builds strength and speed, but I don't usually see it as an endurance thing. Also, it's fun.

This is what good fartlek running form looks like.
Strides
Not a workout per se. But it refers to really fast portions in the middle of a workout or the "finishing kick" at the end of a workout where you run really hard to squeeze out the last bit. Usually you'll be doing say, a long run and at the end you speed up to near sprint speed and end it after 60-120 meters or so. It's also often done in the middle of a workout, say your long runs. One of the advantages I see for this over a track sprint is that your knees don't explode from the sudden acceleration of a true sprint. You also don't run as fast as a sprint which also saves your knees.


I'll add more in a later entry. But I personally see these as the key runs. The FIRST program highlighted in this book I use sees the interval, the tempo run and the long run as the key runs you have to focus on in order to decrease your race times. The others can be left out if you adhere strongly to the rest of the program.



No comments:

Post a Comment